• Tune In
  • Channel 239 | 12 - 3pm ET.

Wednesday: Dan Soder, Dan Patrick, Brad Nessler

Thursday: Henry Cavill, Ryan Leaf, Ryan Tannehill

12 - 3PM ET
CHANNEL 239
CALL THE RES
844-204-RICH

Ravens WR Steve Smith Talks 2015 Being Final Season

TRANSCRIPT

HOW ARE YOU?
>> I'M GOOD.
>> THE WORD IS CONGRATULATIONS
IN A WAY, BUT MARSHALL FAULK AND
ALL THE GUYS WHO I WORK WITH WHO
ARE RETIRED SAID THAT, YOU KNOW,
THAT THAT WORD SORT OF GOT THEM
A LITTLE RILED UP, IS
CONGRATULATIONS THE RIGHT WORD
TO SAY TO YOU RIGHT NOW, STEVE?
>> UM, I DON'T KNOW, I GUESS
I'LL TAKE IT.
YOU KNOW, IT'S BETTER THAN SCREW
YOU.
I'LL TAKE THAT.
>> YOU SAY THAT AS IF YOU'VE
HEARD THAT ONE BEFORE, STEVE.
>> OH ABSOLUTELY.
I'VE HEARD IT.
YOU KNOW.
>> SO WHY NOW?
WHY NOW, STEVE?
>> YOU KNOW,S I JUST FEEL LIKE
WHY NOT?
YOU KNOW, YOU KNOW, THERE'S
GOING TO BE PEOPLE WHO HAVE
THEIR OPINIONS, AND OPINIONS ARE
LIKE THE OTHER END OF YOU,
EVERYBODY HAS ONE, AND FOR ME,
YOU KNOW, IT'S JUST, ITS BEEN A
LOT OF THINKING AND COMING UP
WITH A DECISION.
AND THEN AFTER THE DECISION IS,
YOU KNOW, JUST KIND OF LETTING
IT GO.
KIND OF JUST SAYING IT, LETTING
IT GO.
YOU KNOW, IT'S ALMOST, THEY SAY
A LOT OF TIMES IF YOU HAVE SOME
THINGS GOING ON OR IF YOU HAVE A
PROBLEM WITH SOMEBODY WRITE A
LETTER, BUT NEVER SEND IT.
WELL, THIS ISN'T ANYTHING
NEGATIVE TOWARDS ANYONE ELSE,
THIS IS ME LETTING IT GO AND
MOVING FORWARD.
I DO UNDERSTAND SOME OF THE
REQUESTS AND THE MEDIA STUFF
THAT'S GOING TO COME BEHIND IT,
BUT AT THE SAME TIME, YOU KNOW,
I APPROACH THAT THE SAME WAY I
APPROACH EVERYTHING ELSE.
IF I WANT TO, I WILL, IF I'M
NOT, I WON'T.
IT KIND OF LETS ME LET THINGS GO
AND BE FINE WITH IT.
>> STEVE SMITH JOINING ME ON THE
PROGRAM.
YOU ARE ONE OF THE PLAYERS WHO
IS THE QUINTESSENTIAL, YOU ONLY
KNOW ONE SPEED, YOU ONLY KNOW
HOW TO DO IT ONE CERTAIN WAY AND
THAT'S WHY YOU'RE SO SUCCESSFUL.
THAT SAID, WHAT ABOUT THE
PROCESS OF NEEDING TO GEAR
YOURSELF UP TO GET TO THAT SPEED
IS CAUSING YOU TO SAY, 15 YEARS
IS ENOUGH IN THE NFL?
>> WELL, I THINK ONE OF IT IS,
YOU KNOW, A GREAT EXAMPLE IS YOU
WATCH PEOPLE AND YOU SEE THINGS.
AND YOU ASK YOURSELF, AND SKY
MYSELF, DO I WANT TO BE THAT
GUY?
DO I WANT TO BE THAT GUY WHO MAY
BE IN THE NEXT YEAR OR TWO WHO
DESIRES, WHO THINKS THEY HAVE
THE DESIRE AND TO WANT PLAY FOR
X AMOUNT OF YEARS?
DO I FEEL LIKE GETTING UP AND
MOVING FROM THERE?
DO I FEEL LIKE GOING THROUGH
THIS OR THAT, AND MY ANSWER IS
NO, I DO NOT FEEL LIKE DOING IT.
IT'S NOT BECAUSE I CAN'T, I JUST
KNOW, AND I HAVE A PERSPECTIVE
OF IS IT WORTH IT TO ME?
AND RIGHT NOW, THE ANSWER IS NO
BECAUSE I KNOW WHY I WOULD BE
DOING IT.
AND IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH
MONEY, IT JUST HAS TO DO WITH
REALLY, IS THAT FEAR AND
UNCERTAINTY OF NOT KNOWING WHAT
COMES NEXT.
AND I KNOW WHAT'S COMING NEXT,
IS ENJOYMENT.
AND I LOOK FORWARD TO THAT.
YOU KNOW, SOMEBODY ASKED ME, YOU
KNOW, WHAT DOES IT LOOK LIKE?
MAN, WHEN YOU RUN A ROUTE, YOU
KNOW WHAT YOU'RE RUNNING IT, THE
ONLY DIFFERENCE WITH SUCCESS AND
FAILURE IS OPPONENT, IS A LINE
BACKER, DB, OR SAFETY, IS IT
COVERAGE, BUT YOU KNOW, OFF
FINISH LINE.
FOR ME THIS GIVES ME A FINISH
LINE.
AND I WORK WELL WITH FINISH
LINES AND OBJECTIONS.
OBJECTIVES.
AND SO THAT'S WHAT I FEEL LIKE
I'M AT.
I KNOW AT THE END OF WHENEVER IT
COMES, IT COMES.
I ALSO DIDN'T WANT TO BE ONE OF
THE GUYS WHERE I PLAYED, AND IF
IT DIDN'T GO RIGHT, THEN YOU GO,
WELL I'M RETIRE, OH DID HE QUIT
BECAUSE OF THIS, THIS, THIS,
IT'S OUT THERE.
DOES IT PUT PRESSURE ON ME?
ABSOLUTELY IT DOES.
BECAUSE THEN EVERYTHING, IF I
DON'T DO THIS WELL, THAT'S WHY
HE'S RETIRING, HE'S OLDER, OR
HE'S NOT THIS, AND IT'S LIKE NO,
I'M RETIRING BECAUSE I GET TO
CHOOSE TO.
>> SO IF, LET'S SAY NOVEMBER,
DECEMBER, AND YOU'RE CRUSHING IT
AS YOU HAVE IN YOUR CAREERá--
>> WHICH I WILL.
I WILL BE.
>> IF YOU NOTICED, LIKE YOU HAVE
IN YOUR CAREER.
>> YEAH.
>> SO, THERE WON'T BE A MOMENT
WHERE YOU PAUSE AND GO, WELL
MAYBE 16, I CAN DO THIS, I CAN
GEAR IT UP IN THE NON-PLAYING
SEASON AND GET THOSE WORKOUTS
IN, I CAN FOCUS IN THAT REGARD?
THAT WON'T CREEP INá--
>> OH ABSOLUTELY.
IT CREPT IN UP TO THE MOMENT I
WALKED UP AND TALKED TO A TEAM
AND WALKED UP TO THE PODIUM.
IT DID IT TO WHERE WHEN I WAS
WORKING OUT THIS YEAR AND MY
TRAINER, HE KNEW IT, MY WIFE
KNEW, WE TALKED ABOUT IT, BUT
THEN THERE'S DAYS WHERE I GO,
YOU KNOW, FOR THAT SPLIT SECOND,
YES, BUT ALSO HAVE A TEENAGER
WHO'S GOING TO BE UPCOMING
SENIOR WHO IS GOING TO BE THIS
TIME NEXT YEAR, I'LL BE DRIVING
HIM OFF TO COLLEGE, AND I WANT
TO EXPERIENCE THAT.
I DON'T TO WANT HAVE TO ASK
SOMEONE, CAN I TAKE MY BOY TO
COLLEGE?
I'M GOING TO TAKE MY SON TO
COLLEGE, AND I DON'T HAVE TO ASK
ANYBODY.
AND THOSE ARE THE THINGS THAT
ARE IMPORTANT TO ME.
>> WHAT ARE THE AGES OF YOUR
OTHER KIDS?
>> OLDEST 17, DAUGHTER, SHE'LL
BE 14 IN ABOUT A MONTH, MY OTHER
SON IS TEN YEARS OLD, THEN MY
YOUNGEST, JUNIOR, HE'S ONE YEARS
OLD.
>> SO NEURODIAPERS, YOU ARE
GOING OFF TO COLLEGE, YOU ARE
RUNNING THE PARENTAL GAMUT.
>> I HAVE COLLEGE, STARTING, MY
DAUGHTER, MENSTRUAL CYCLE, AND
HORMONES, LITTLE BIT OF
HORMONES, THEN I GOT POOPY
DIAPERS.
I HAVE EVERYTHING COVERED.
AND OH YEAH, BY THE WAY, I HAVE
A CAREER, YOU KNOW, AND SO IT'S
JUST ALL THOSE THINGS, I ENJOY
DOING, BUT IT'S ALSO TIME FOR ME
TO SETTLE DOWN AND COME TO
REALIZATION THAT SOMETHING HAS
TO GIVE, AND IF YOU WAIT LONG
ENOUGH, THE ONLY THING THAT'S
GOING TO GIVE IS YOUR FEELINGS.
BECAUSE THE HARSH REALITY OF I
CAN'T DO IT ANYMORE IS GOING TO
COME IN AT SOME POINT.
>> AND YOU HAVE AT DENVER, WEEK
ONE, AT OAKLAND, WEEK TWO.
NOW LET'S SAY, STEVE, THAT YOU
SHOW UP IN DENVER AND THE
BRONCOS WANT TO GIVE YOU A GOING
AWAY PRESENT, ALA, MANY FAREWELL
TOURS, DO YOU ACCEPT THE
FAREWELL TOUR?
STEVE FROM VISITING TEAMS?
>> OH, I'LL GIVE THEMá-- I,
IT'LL BE A FAREWELL TOUR FOR ME,
BUT LET ME, LET ME BE VERY
CLEAR, I WON'T DAMAGE AND
PUNCTURE A LOT OF PEOPLE ON MY
WAY OUT.
>> SO, I SORT OF WONDERED
BECAUSE ONE OF MY CLAEGS HERE ON
THE SET FEELS THAT FAREWELL
TOURS, LIKE ONES THAT JETER OR
RIVERA WENT OUT, HE'S ALSO A RED
SOX FAN, THINKS THAT, YOU KNOW,
MAKING IT ABOUT THE ATHLETE MORE
THAN ABOUT ANYTHING ELSE.
WHERE DO YOU STAND ON THE
CONCEPT OF FAREWELL TOURS, STEVE
SMITH JR.?
>> I SAID I GOT ALLá-- LET ME
TELL YOU SOMETHING.
I'M PLAYING WITH HOUSE MONEY.
YOU KNOW IT'S DANGEROUS PLAYING
WITH HOUSE MONEY.
>> UH-HUH.
>> YOU DON'T HAVE NO REGARD.
>> SOá-- GO AHEAD.
>> I'M ALL IN.
I'M ALL IN WITH YOUR MONEY.
AND YOU KNOW WHAT THEY SAY WHEN
YOU'RE PLAYING WITH OTHER
PEOPLE'S MONEY.
YOU'RE RECKLESS, DO YOU STUPID
THINGS WITH IT.
THAT'S WHAT I'M GOING TO DO,
IT'S HOUSE MONEY.
>> YOU'RE PARTICULARLY DANGEROUS
THIS YEAR IS WHAT YOU'RE SAYING,
STEVE?
>> YES, SIR, PUT THE WOMEN AND
CHILDREN IN BED, IT'S NOT GOING
TO BE A GOOD NIGHT.
>> WAS THERE ANY THOUGHT AT ALL
OF YOU WAITING ONE MORE, ONE
YEAR, SAYING I'M DONE, AND THEN
SIGNING WITH THE PANTHERS AT
ALL?
WAS THAT, DID IT CROSS YOUR MIND
AT ALL GOING OUT THAT WAY,
STEVE?
>> WELL, I'M UNDER CONTRACT WITH
THE BALTIMORE RAVENS.
AND TO BE HONEST, YOU KNOW, I'M
NOT AVOIDING THE QUESTION, I'M
PUTTING IT LIKE THIS, IT'S TAKEN
ME A COUPLE OF MONTHS TO GET TO
THIS DECISION.
I THINK, I CANNOT SAY ANYTHING
JUST OFF THE CUFF THAT ISN'T
METHODICALLY THOUGHT OUT.
AND WE'LL MAKE THAT DECISION
WHEN I GET TO THAT, BUT RIGHT
NOW, I'M A BALTIMORE RAVEN AND I
WILL OPERATE AND WORK AS A
BALTIMORE RAVEN.
>> OKAY.
DID YOU NOTICE IN YOUR OLD CAMP,
THAT CAM, OF ALL PEOPLE, GOT
INTO A FIGHT AT TRAINING CAMP
FIGHT, STEVE, DID YOU SEE THAT?
>> I IS THAT TRUE.
>> WHAT'D YOU THINK?
>> YOU KNOW WHAT, UM, I GUESS
THAT'S GOOD FOR THEM.
YOU KNOW.
I DIDN'T THINK THEY KIND OF LIKE
THOSE PLAYERS, I GUESS IT'S ALL
RIGHT.
I LIKE IT.
I GOT TO RAZZ HIM THOUGH, HE'S
THE FIRST I'VE EVER SEEN FIGHT
SMILING THE WHOLE TIME.
>> SO DO YOU THINK THIS WAS,
WASá-- IS THIS IN CAM'S NATURE
OR IS THIS A NEW CAM THAT WE'RE
SEEING HERE, STEVE?
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
>> I DON'T KNOW.
MY ONLY QUARTERBACK'S JOE.
SO I'M NOTá--
>> OKAY.
>> I WORRY ABOUT WHAT'S GOING ON
IN BALTIMORE.
>> OKAY.
>> YOU'RE JUST FOCUSSED ON THE
TASK AHEAD.
>> YEP.
>> AND THE TASK AHEADá--
>> ONE DAY AT THE SAME TIME.
>> AND THE TASK AHEAD IS TO MAKE
SURE THAT EVERYBODY REMEMBERS
YOUR NAME AFTER YOU COME THROUGH
THEM ONE FINAL TIME.
HAVE I GIVEN THAT PROPERá--
>> YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE TO
REMEMBER MY NAME TO BE HONEST.
I HOPE I LEAVE A LASTING
IMPRESSION WHERE THEY GIVE YOU
CONCUSSION TEST, AND THEY GIVE
YOU A WORD TO REMEMBER, AND YOU
CAN'T REMEMBER.
AND THEN THEY CONFISCATE YOUR
HELMET.
THAT'S WHAT I HOPE.
>> THAT'S STEVE SMITH SR., SAY
MY NAME IS ESSENTIALLY WHAT YOU
WANT TO SAY.
LET ME TELL YOU SOMETHING,
STEVE, I STARTED DOING THE NFL
NETWORK THING IN 2003.
>> YEAH.
>> AND YOU WERE IN YEAR THREE
WHEN THAT HAPPENED.
SO I HAVE ESSENTIALLY SEEN YOUR
ENTIRE CAREER, SUPER BOWLS,
CHANGING TEAMS, AT THE PRO BOWLS
I'VE WATCHED YOUR FAMILY GET
LARGER AS YOU HAD MORE AND MORE
KIDS WITH YOUR WIFE, AND I'M
JUST THRILLED TO SEE YOU DOING
IT THE WAY YOU WANT TO DO IT,
STEVE.
YOU DESERVE IT.
>> APPRECIATE IT.
I KNOW A LOT OF PEOPLE DON'T GET
THE OPPORTUNITY TO DO, AND I'VE
GOT AN OPPORTUNITY TO DO IT,
BUT, YOU KNOW, ONE OF THE THINGS
I WANT TO MAKE CLEAR IS IT'S NOT
A FAREWELL TOUR.
>> OKAY.
>> IT'S STILL BALL, MAN.
YOU KNOW, AND I'M NOT WALKING
INTO ANY STADIUM, ANY PRACTICE
THINKING AND FEEL LIKE, WELL,
MAN, THIS IS QUOTE UNQUOTE MY
LAST GAME, SO GIVE ME SOME
SLACK, YOU KNOW, I ANTICIPATE
IT'S GOING TO BE SOME NONSENSE
GOING ON.
AND I THINK IT WOULD NOT BE, IF
IT WASN'T FOOTBALL.
>> ALL RIGHT, STEVE.
CAN WE CHAT WITH YOU AS THE YEAR
GOES ALONG AND TALK ABOUT WHAT'S
GOING ON WITH THE RAVERNS AND
MAYBE, JUST MAYBE, WHEN IT'S
APPROPRIATE, LOOK IN THE
REARVIEW MIRROR?
CAN WE DO THAT, STEVE?
>> YEAH, I GOT TO CHECK MY
SCHEDULE, I AM GOING TO HAVE
SOME, SOME OFFICIAL VISITS WITH
MY SON.
>> OKAY.
>> TO GO ON, AND I'M EXCITED TO
LOOK FORWARD TO AND, YOU KNOW,
WE HAVE SO THE SCHOOLS NEAR
BALTIMORE THAT'S TUGGING ON HIM.
>> OKAY.
>> THAT'S REALLY GOOD.
SO HE'S, I'M EXCITED ABOUT THAT
TOO.
I'VE BEEN TRYING TO, TRYING TO
NUDGE HIM A LITTLE BIT, BUT HE
LOOKED AT MY SIDEWAYS AND SAID
PUMP THE BRAKES, I SAID ALL
RIGHT, YOU GOT IT.
>> IS HE THE ONLY ONE TO TELL
YOU TO PUMP THE BRAKES.
HE AND YOUR WIFE, I IMAGINE.
>> HE JUST GIVE ME THE LOOK.
IT DIDN'T PHYSICALLY COME OUT OF
HIS MOUTH.
>> IS IT LIKE YOUR LOOK?
>> ABSOLUTELY NOT, IT WAS MORE
INNOCENT, LIKE, YOU KNOW, YEAH,
I GET YOU, DAD.
BUT I MEAN, I'M JUST EXCITED.
>> OKAY.
>> YOU KNOW BECAUSE IT'S AN
OPPORTUNITY, YOU KNOW, WHEN
YOU'RE AN ATHLETE AND YOU GET TO
SEE YOUR SON BECOME A STUDENT
ATHLETE, AND THEN YOU START TO
SEE THE COLLEGES LIKEá-- SO I
TELL YOU ONE OF THE SCHOOLS NEAR
BALTIMORE BECAUSE HE PLAYED
SOCCER AS A CHILD, AND I'M LIKE,
UH, HELLO, WHAT'S THE DEBATE?
YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN?
SO HE'S KIND OF LOOKING AT ME
LIKE, YOU KNOW, I GET IT DAD,
BUT LET ME DO IT.
>> SURE.
>> AND I HAVE TO RESPECT THAT.
AT THE SAME TIME I'M LOOKING AT
IT THE AS YOU CAN PLAY FOOTBALL
15, 20 YEARS, SOCCER, HOWEVER
MANY YEARS, BUT HAVING A DEGREE
FROM JOHN HOPKINS, THAT DOESN'T,
THAT COMES EVERY GENERATION OR
SO.
>> DR. SMITH.
THAT'S WHAT WE'RE TALKING ABOUT
HERE, DR. SMITH.
>> YEAH.
>> THAT'S FOR JOHN HOPKINS.
THAT'D BE GOOD STUFF.
STEVE, LISTEN, AND THEN OF
COURSE YOU'RE GOT WHAT, SESAME
STREET ALL CUED UP.
>> WE'RE RIGHT NOW WITH DISNEY.
WE'RE ON DISNEY.
>> WHAT ARE YOU ON DISNEY?
WHAT DO YOU GOT?
>> WHAT DO WE GOT?
MICKEY MOUSE PLAY HOUSE.
>> OH YEAH.
>> MOUSKA, WHATEVER IT IS.
>> I'M RIGHT THERE WITH YOU,
STEVE.
>> YES.
>> THAT'S ACTUATE GOES.
AND THE CLUBHOUSE COMES UP OUT
OF NOWHERE, THEN ALL OF THE
SUDDEN, HERE COMES TOODLES AND
WE'RE OFF AND RUNNING.
>> YEAH.
>> THANKS FOR CALLING IN.
I APPRECIATE IT.
STEVE SMITH SR.
RIGHT HERE ON "THE RICH EISEN
SHOW."