• Tune In
  • Channel 239 | 12 - 3pm ET.

Thursday: Hines Ward, Willie McGinest, Michael Chiklis

12 - 3PM ET
CHANNEL 239
CALL THE RES
844-204-RICH

Nomar Garciaparra Talks Dodgers + Brockman Airport Meeting

TRANSCRIPT

>> WE'LL TALK BASEBALL IN A
MOMENT.
HERE NEUROA PLANE, IT'S EARLY IN
THE MORNING ON PITTSBURGH.
YOU WANT TO SETTLE INTO YOUR
SEAT.
YOU DON'T WANT TO BE BOTHERED,
RIGHT, AM I WRONG?
>> YEAH, IT WAS QUITE EARLY.
IT WAS LIKE 6:00 IN THE MORNING.
>> WOW, THAT'S EARLY.
>> WHICH MEANS, YOU KNOW, YOU'RE
IN DOWNTOWN TO GET THERE YOU HAD
TO WAKE UP PROBABLY AROUND 4:00
IN THE MORNING TO GET THERE.
>> YEAH.
>> BUT YOU KNOW, I'M BRIGHT EYED
BY THEN.
WHEW, I'M READY TO GO.
>> YOU ARE?
>> NO, NOT EVEN CLOSE.
>> OKAY.
>> SO WALK ME THROUGH THIS
PROCESS THEN NOMAR, WHAT HAPPENS
ON THIS FLIGHT?
>> PRIOR TO SOMEBODY, YOU KNOW,
AS I'M SETTLING IN MY SEATá--
>> SURE.
>> ALL THE PICTURES THAT WERE
TAKEN BEFORE THAT AS FANS COMING
HOME AND THEN SETTLING?
NO, YOU KNOW, I TELL YOU, I WAS
GETTING READY TO SIT IN MY SEAT
AND I HAD A NICE GENTLEMAN SAID
HEY, I'M A RED SOX FAN.
>> AND COULD YOU TELL HE WAS A
RED SOX FAN WITHOUT HIM SAYING
IT, NOMAR?
BECAUSE HE HAD A HAT ON.
OLD ENGLISH B ON IT.
>> YOU KNOW, YOU CAN ASSUME
THAT, BUT, YOU KNOW, I DON'T
LIKE TO ASSUME ANYTHING, BUT IT
WAS NICE OF HIM TO TELL ME HE
WAS A RED SOX FAN AND I, MY
RESPONSE WAS WELL, THAT'S GREAT.
I MEAN, I DIDN'Tá-- I REALLY
DIDN'T KNOW WHAT TO SAY.
I DON'T KNOW IF HE EXPECTED ME
TO GIVE HIM A HUG OR SAY THAT'S
AWESOME, HERE'S MY NUMBER, GIVE
ME A CALL, WE'LL GRAB LUNCH.
>> CALL ME.
>> I JUST SAID GREAT, AWESOME,
NICE TO MEET YOU.
AND THEN IT WAS GREAT BECAUSE HE
SAID HEY, WE SHARE THE SAME
BIRTHDAY.
>> NOMAR, I'M GOING TO ROLL IN
FRONT OF YOU, AND I PUT I HAD
HEAD DOWN IN SHAME AND WENT TO
TEXT HIM IMMEDIATELY, AND I WAS
LIKE, THAT WAS DEPLORABLE,
SHAMEFUL, AND I THOUGHT ABOUT
STOPPING YOU ON THE WAY OUT OF
THE FLIGHT TO TRY AND GET YOU ON
THE SHOW, BUT I DIDN'T WANT TO,
YOU WERE PROBABLY RATTLED BY
HIM, JUST LET YOU GO.
>> THEN I JUST, MY RESPONSE WAS,
WELL, WE JUST HAD ONE A COUPLE
WEEKS AGO, OH COOL, HAPPY
BIRTHDAY.
>> RIGHT.
>> YOU KNOW, AND THEN, YOU KNOW,
HAVE A NICE FLIGHT.
YOU KNOW, DON'T KICK MY SEAT, I
DIDN'T KNOW WHAT I WAS SUPPOSED
TO SAY.
>> I DIDN'T BOTHERá-- I WAS
REALLY EMBARRASSED.
WE HAD BEEN UP ALL NIGHT.
>> OH STOP IT.
>> WE DROVE TWO HOURS FROM OHIO.
>> THERE'S NO EXCUSE HERE.
>> THEN ONE OF MY CHILDHOOD
HEROES JUST SITTING OVER THERE
AT THE AIRPORT.
I DIDN'T KNOW WHAT TO DO.
>> IT WASN'T A PROBLEM, AS MUCH
AS, IT WASN'T, ALL THE PEOPLE ON
THE PLANE WERE AWESOME, HE WAS
FINE.
I MEAN, IT'S FUNNY, EVERYBODY,
WHAT DO YOU SAY WHEN YOU MEET
SOMEBODY THAT YOU'RE GOING OH MY
GOSH, WAIT A MINUTE, SOMETIMES
YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT TO SAY.
>> UH-HUH.
>> I'VE DONE IT, I'M LIKE, UH,
HI.
AND THERE YOU GO.
THEN YOU WALK AWAY, MAN, I WAS
SO COOL, IT WAS AWESOME.
YOU KNOW.
AND THEN YOU REALIZE NO YOU
WEREN'T.
AND IT'S JUST FUNNY.
>> I KNOW IMMEDIATELY THAT I
BOTCHED IT, BUT IT WAS FINE.
>> WHERE DOES THIS RANK FOR YOU
IN YOUR FAN BOY EXPERIENCE?
HAVE YOU HAD OTHER ONES WORSE
THAN THIS?
>> OH A LOT WORSE, OH MY
GOODNESS.
>> YOU'VE PROBABLY HAD PEOPLEá--
LOOK, AND I'LL SAY THIS FOR OUR
LISTENERSHIP, DON'T BOTHER
PEOPLE WHEN THEY'RE EATING, WITH
FAMILY, O WHEN THEY'RE IN THE
MEN'S ROOM.
>> YES, YES, DON'T, YEAH, IN THE
MEN'S ROOM AND THEY WANT TO
SHAKE YOUR HAND, NOT A GOOD
TIME.
>> NO.
>> SORRY, CAN'T HANG.
OH MY GOSH, YOU KNOW WHO YOU
ARE, YEAH, I'M GOINGS TO THE
BATHROOM, THAT'S WHO I AM AT
THIS MOMENT.
>> NORMALLY, YOU KNOW, WHEN
SOMEBODY SAYS, NOMAR, HEY, I'M A
BIG FAN, AND WE SHARE THE SAME
BIRTHDAY, NORMALLY, YOU KNOW,
THEY'RE TRYING TO, THEY'RE
TRYING TO ASK YOU OUT ON A DATE.
NORMALLY THAT'S WHAT IT SOUNDS
LIKE, BROCKMAN.
ARE THESE, ARE THESE YOUR GO-TO
MOVES IN EVERY SHAPE, CHRIS?
LET'S WALK THIS OUT WITH NOMAR
ON THE PHONE.
>> NO, YOU'RE COMPARING THIS TO
JERRY SEINFELD AND KEITH
HERNANDEZ.
>> EXACTLY COMPARING IT TO THAT.
YES.
NOMAR, DO YOU NEED HELP MOVING
BECAUSE BROCKMAN WILL HELP YOU
MOVE.
YOU KNOW.
>> WELL, THAT'S GOOD TO KNOW.
>> SERIOUSLY, IF YOU NEED, YOU
KNOW, NEED TO MOVE SOMEWHERE,
HE'LL HELP YOU ON THAT FRONT.
>> THAT'S GREAT.
>> ALWAYS USE AN EXTRA HAND,
THAT'S FOR SURE.
>> THE THING IS I PROBABLY WOULD
HELP YOU MOVE.
>> EXACTLY.
>> WELL NOW I KNOW THERE'S
SOMEBODY ELSE I HAVE TO CALL ON
MY BIRTHDAY NOW.
>> THERE YOU GO.
>> IS THAT WHAT IT IS?
>> I GOT NOMAR GARCIAPARRA ON
THE PHONE.
YOU WERE IN PITTSBURGH FOR THE
BEGINNING OF THIS FOR THE
DODGERS, YOU'RE PART OF THE
DODGERS CREW WITH SPORTS NET
L.A., WHAT'S GOING ON WITH THE
DODGERS?
>> RIGHT NOW, I MEAN, EVERY TEAM
GOES THROUGH A SLIDE AND
DEFINITELY THE DODGERS ARE GOING
THROUGH ONE RIGHT NOW.
I THINK FOR THEM, THEY PROBABLY
SAY COLLECTIVELY THE PITCHING
OBVIOUSLY IS A STRUGGLE FOR
THEM.
AND NOT SO MUCH ALL THE STARTING
PITCHING, AND BUT EVEN OVER THIS
ROAD TRIP THEY WERE A LITTLE
OFF.
THEY WEREN'T AS SHARP AS WE'VE
SEEN THE PICTURES IN THE PAST.
DEFINITELY THEIR BULLPEN IS
SOMETHING THAT HAS TO BE
ADDRESSED.
THAT THEY'RE COLLECTIVELY AS A
TEAM, I'M NOT SAYING YOU'RE
CHANGING, SOMETIMES IN THE
BULLPEN YOU HAVE TO SAY OKAY WE
HAVE TO GO UP THERE AND PICK IT
UP A NOTCH.
ESPECIALLY THE END OF THE SEASON
WHERE YOU'RE GOING AUGUST AND
SEPTEMBER.
THAT'S I THINK WHEN YOU LOOK AT
SOME OF THE GAMES THAT THEY
LOST, SOME OF THE GAMES WHERE
THEY WERE AHEAD EARLY.
THE PIRATES REALLY SEEM TO TAKE
IT ON THE BULLPEN.
MY GOODNESS, JUST WATCHING THE
LAST COUPLE OF GAMES.
>> JIM JOHNSON HAS BEEN AN
UNMITIGATED DISASTER SINCE HE'S
PUT ON THE DODGER BOOTH.
ITS BEEN BRUTAL.
>> YEAH, AND SOMETIMES GOING TO
A NEW TEAM THAT CAN HAPPEN.
AND HOPEFULLY MAYBE THAT'S IT.
THE FACT THAT HE'S JUST PRESSING
A LITTLE BIT TOO MUCH, TRYING TO
IMPRESS, SAYING OKAY, I KNOW I
WAS TRADED FOR.
YOU PUT ON NEW UNIFORMS, A NEW
TEAM THAT'S IN CONTENTION AND
YOU'RE THINKING, I REALLY GOT TO
SHOW THEM.
I HAVE TO PROVE THAT I WAS WORTH
IT AND YOU HAVE A TEND CITY
PRESS AND TRY TO DO TOO MUCH.
WHEN I WATCH JIM JOHNSON, I
DON'T SEE THE VELOCITY CHANGE,
THERE'S SOMETHING WRONG,
SOMETHING PHYSICALLY, DID HE
JUST LOSE IT.
AND THERE ARE TIMES I SEE SOME
OF THE MOVEMENT ON HIS PITCHES,
I'M LIKE MY GOODNESS, THAT IS
INCREDIBLE.
LIKE IN THE BACKYARD SOMEBODY
THROWING A WIFL BALL AT YOU.
WOW, YOU SEE IT, YOU KNOW IT'S
THERE, YOU SEE WHAT HIS, THE
SUCCESS HE'S HAD IN THE PAST SO
UNDERIT WHEN YOU WATCH IT.
THAT'S WHY HE'S BEEN SO
SUCCESSFUL.
NOW IT'S JUST A MATTER, MAYBE
IT'S JUST SOMETHING MENTAL TO
SAY OKAY, YOU KNOW WHAT, I DON'T
NEED THE PRESS, I'VE DONE IN THE
PAST.
I'M OVER HERE FAR REASON, I HAVE
A CHANCE TO HELP A TEAM.
AND JUST GO BACK AND BE HIMSELF.
YOU KNOW, DON'T WORRY ABOUT
HAVING HIM PRESS ANYBODY.
GO OUT THERE AND NOTICE THE
PITCHES YOU'RE THROWING, GO
BACK, LOOK AT VIDEO, AND IT'S
INTERESTING, EVEN THE OTHER DAY
WHEN IT KIND OF SNOWBALLED, YOU
KNOW, GETS THE BASES LOADED AND
THROWS A NASTY PITCH AND JAMS
THE GUY.
THAT WAS FOR THE THIRD OUT, BUT
IT'S, IT'S A HIT.
I MEAN IT GOES IN THE MILL OF
NOWHERE WHERE, THEY'RE BASEMENT
CAN'T FIELD IT, THEN AFTER THAT,
IT WAS LIKE HIT AFTER HIT AFTER
HIT.
IF IT GETS OUT OF IT, MAYBE
THERE'S ONE RUN OF DAMAGE, NOT
SO MUCH EIGHT.
>> RIGHT.
NOT SO MUCH EIGHT.
>> RIGHT.
AND THAT'S WHAT HAPPENS, AND
THAT'S WHAT'S CRAZY ABOUT THIS
GAME.
>> WITH THE DODGERS, AT LEAST
FOR THEM, THEY WEREN'T THE ONLY
TEAM TO FACE A RED HOT NL
CENTRAL TEAM OVER THE WEEKEND,
THE CUBS PUT THE, THE SAN
FRANCISCO GIANTS, THEY LOST ALL
FOUR.
AND SO THE DODGERS TWO AND A
HALF GAME LEAD IN THE NL WEST,
NOMAR, WHO'S THE BEST TEAM THAT
YOU'VE SEEN THIS YEAR?
>> OH, OH GOSH DARN, THAT'S A
GOOD QUESTION.
>> I ONLY ASK THOSE.
UNLIKE BROCKMAN.
>> THERE YOU GO.
YOU KNOW, THE METS HAVE THE BEST
PITCHING I'VE SEEN THIS YEAR.
>> OKAY.
>> THEIR PITCHING HAS BEEN
OUTSTANDING AND NOW THEY MADE
CHANGES TO PROVE THAT OFFENSE.
THE ONE THING ABOUT THE METS.
IT SEEMED LIKE EVEN WHEN THE
DODGERS WERE THERE, THEY MADE A
TRADE, AND I KNOW IT'S LIKE
WHOA, THEY HAVE JUAN AND THEN
THEY HAVE KELLY JOHNSON FROM THE
BRAVES DURING THAT SERIES, THE
CONFIDENCE WENT UP IN THAT TEAM.
THEY HAVE THE PITCHING.
THEY ARE ONE OF THE BEST TEAMS
AS FAR AS FROM THE PITCHING
STANDPOINT THAT I'VE SEEN.
THE PIRATES WERE IMPRESSIVE AS
FAR AS WHAT I LIKED IS THAT THEY
DON'T GIVE UP.
THAT LINEUP, THAT OFFENSE, THEY
BELIEVE THAT THEY ARE GOING TO
WIN EVEN IN THAT TYPE OF BALL
GAME.
IF IT'S CLOSED AND IT'S GOING
LATE IN THE GAME, THEY SEEM TO
HAVE THAT, THAT DEMEANOR, YOU
KNOW, THAT WE'RE GOING TO WIN.
THE TEAM THAT I'VE SEEN HAVE
THAT IN THE PAST WAS THE GIANTS
WHEN THEY WON THE WORLD SERIES.
THEY HAVE THAT DEMEANER WHEN IT
GETS CLOSE.
PIRATES HAVE THAT RIGHT NOW.
BUT I THINK THE BEST TEAM, AND I
THINK THE RECORD'S SHOWING IT,
THE CARDINALS.
THEY FIND A WAY, THEY'RE GOING
OUT THERE, AND THEY JUST, THEY
DO IT UP AND DOWN.
AND IT'S NOT ALWAYS ABOUT
SUPERSTARS COMING THROUGH, IT'S
A COLLECTIVE TEAM WHEN YOU WATCH
THEM PLAY, AND THAT'S THE REASON
WHY THEY'RE UP BOY IS MANY
GAMES.
>> WELL, 31 OVER, BUT THEY DO
HOST THE PIRATES STARTING
TONIGHT FOR A THREE-GAME SET,
AND THEY ARE FIVE UP, FOUR IN
THE LOSS COLUMN, THAT'LL BE AN
INTERESTING MATCHUP TO SEE, HEY
NOMAR, I'M SO GLAD THAT MY
COLLEAGUE AND FRIEND CHRIS
BROCKMAN EMBARRASSED YOU.
PLEASE COME IN THE NEXT TIME
BECAUSE I DON'T KNOW IF YOU'RE
AWARE, ONE OF THE GUYS ON MY
SHOW HAS THE SAME BIRTHDAY AS
YOU.
>> YOU KNOW WHAT, THAT'S GREAT.
IT'S ALWAYS GOOD TO MEET FANS.
IT WAS AWESOME.
HE SHOULDN'T BE EMBARRASSED.
>> IT WOULD HAVE BEEN
EMBARRASSING HAD I DONE YOUR
BATTING STANCE ROUTINE.
>> YOU WERE CLOSE THOUGH,
WEREN'T YOU?
>> YEAH, THAT I MIGHT HAVE ASKED
TO CHANGE MY SEAT.
>> WE TALKED ABOUT THAT BEFORE
APPROACHING YOU TO ME THOUGH.
>> NO.
I MERELY SAID I COULD DO IT, NOT
THAT I WAS GOING TO.
>> OKAY.
OKAY.
>> THANKS, NOMAR, APPRECIATE IT.
>> THANKS GUYS, HAVE A GOOD ONE.