• Tune In
  • Channel 239 | 12 - 3pm ET.

Thursday: Hines Ward, Willie McGinest, Michael Chiklis

12 - 3PM ET
CHANNEL 239
CALL THE RES
844-204-RICH

Hall of Famer Jim Brown Talks Johnny Manziel in Studio – 6/4/15

TRANSCRIPT

I'M HERE WITH JIM BROWN ON
"THE RICH EISEN SHOW."
LET'S TALK ABOUT JOHNNY MANZIEL
RIGHT NOW.
ONE OF THE QUARTERBACKS IN
CLEVELAND.
THERE IS JOSH MCCOWN SITTING
THERE AND EVERYBODY BELIEVES IT
WILL BE HIS GIG TO LOSE BASED ON
MANZIEL STILL HAVING TROUBLE
GRASPING WHAT IT'S LIKE TO BE A
PROFESSIONAL, MAYBE OFF THE
FIELD, OR CERTAINLY ON IT.
WHERE DO YOU STAND ON JOHNNY
MANZIEL'S VIABILITY AS A FUTURE
QUARTERBACK OF THE CLEVELAND
BROWNS RIGHT NOW?
>> THE FIRST THING I HAVE TO DO,
I THINK YOU MIGHT HAVE TO DO IT,
TOO, WE HAVE TO REALIZE THAT WE
DIDN'T SCOUT HIM IN COLLEGE AND
WE DIDN'T DRAFT HIM.
SOMEONE DRAFTED HIM AND THAT
PERSON IS SUPPOSED TO HAVE AN
EXPERTISE ON TALENT BECAUSE HE
WAS DRAFTED PRETTY HIGH.
SO I'M GOING TO RELY UPON THE
EXPERTISE OF THOSE PEOPLE AT
LEAST UNTIL JOHNNY GETS A CHANCE
TO DEMONSTRATE WHETHER HE CAN DO
IT OR NOT.
I'M PULLING FOR HIM AND I
RECOGNIZE WITH HIS TYPE OF
PROFILE, PEOPLE WILL PICK ON HIM
AND THEN WITH HIS ATTITUDE, HE
MIGHT CALL SOME OF THAT TO BEAR
BUT BOTTOM LINE, I THINK HE'S A
NICE YOUNG MAN.
I THINK HE HAS TALENT AND I
THINK HE NEEDS AN OPPORTUNITY TO
PROVE HIMSELF.
>> HAVE YOU SPOKEN TO HIM
RECENTLY?
>> ONLY SAYING HELLO.
I HATE TO BE ONE OF THE GUYS
THAT'S GOT THE ANSWER FOR
JOHNNY.
>> THERE ARE ENOUGH OF THOSE.
BUT I GUESS WHAT WOULD YOU SAY?
THAT WOULDN'T MEAN YOU HAVE ANY
OWNERSHIP OF HIS ACTIONS OR
BELIEF SYSTEM BUT WHAT WOULD YOU
SAY TO JOHNNY MANZIEL?
>> FIRST OF ALL, I WOULD
ENCOURAGE HIM BECAUSE FOR HIM TO
ACCEPT REHAB, BIG STEP.
SO MANY PEOPLE OUT THERE NEED TO
TAKE NOTE AND GO TO REHAB.
>> SURE.
>> YOU'RE NOT ABLE TO DO IT BY
YOURSELF.
AND I WOULD SAY TO HIM, BE A
PROFESSIONAL.
BE HONEST WITH THE GAME, BE TRUE
TO THE GAME, BE A PROFESSIONAL.
BE TRUE TO THE GAME.
DON'T TAKE THE MONEY AND RUN.
IT'S NOT ABOUT THE MONEY.
IT'S ABOUT THE WAY THAT YOU
DEDICATE YOURSELF TO PERFORMING
ON THE FIELD, ENTERTAINING THE
FANS, BEING TRUE TO WHO YOU ARE
SUPPOSED TO BE AND DO THAT AS
STRONG AS YOU CAN.
>> YOU KNOW, THE INCIDENT THAT
RECENTLY HAPPENED THAT WAS
DISCUSSED ON THE INTERNET,
SOCIAL MEDIA, MIKE PETTINE SAID
IT'S MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING, THE
REACTION THAT CAME FROM JOHNNY
AND HIS FRIENDS.
I'M SURE YOU HAVE BEEN ON THE
BUSINESS END OF FANS HECKLING
YOU IN ONE WAY, SHAPE OR FORM.
HOW DO YOU AS A HIGH PROFILE
ATHLETE OR BACK IN THE DAY, WHAT
ADVICE YOU GIVE TO JOHNNY NOW TO
HANDLE SOMETHING LIKE THAT?
>> YOU SAY HIGH PROFILE ATHLETE,
THERE ARE HIGH PROFILE ATHLETES
AND THERE ARE HIGH PROFILE
INDIVIDUALS.
THEN THERE ARE GUYS THAT ARE
JUST INDIVIDUALS.
I'M JUST AN INDIVIDUAL.
I NEVER LEFT THE GHETTO.
I NEVER LEFT THE BLACK
NEIGHBORHOODS.
I LIVE WITH THE PEOPLE AND I
DON'T USE BODYGUARDS,
INTIMIDATION.
I INVITE PEOPLE TO MY HOME, I
INVITE GANG BANGERS TO MY HOME,
I INVITE ANYONE TO MY HOME.
I SHARE MY LIFE WITH THEM.
BUT I DON'T TAKE ANY MESS.
WHEN YOU SHARE THINGS WITH
PEOPLE, AND YOU CARE ABOUT THEM,
YOU DON'T HAVE TO TAKE MESS.
>> NOT TAKING MESS SOMETIMES
SOMEBODY WILL SNAP A PICTURE,
SOMEONE WILL TELL A STORY AND IT
MAY NOT BE EITHER THE TRUTH OR
SOMETHING THAT YOU NOT TAKING
MESS IN PRIVATE SUDDENLY BECOMES
A PUBLIC MATTER.
>> WELL, IF I HAVE TO COMPLAIN
ABOUT THAT, I WOULD BE SITTING
HERE FOR ANOTHER HUNDRED HOURS.
I HAVE BEEN INVOLVED IN ALL
KINDS OF THINGS.
MAYBE YOU HAVE FORGOTTEN BUT I'M
PROBABLY ONE OF THE MOST
CONTROVERSIAL AT LEAST YOUNG MEN
THAT'S EVER COME ALONG IN
SPORTS.
>> I HAVE NOT FORGOTTEN.
OH, NO.
I REMEMBER THAT.
>> THEY HAD ME DOING ALL KINDS
OF THINGS.
SOME OF THEM MIGHT HAVE BEEN
TRUE BUT MOST OF THEM WERE NOT
TRUE.
OKAY?
I DID NOT LIVE THE PERFECT LIFE
BUT I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN AN HONEST
PERSON AND I LIVE WITHIN MYSELF.
I HAVE A SPIRIT THAT CARRIES ME
AND THAT'S THE REASON I DON'T
HAVE BODYGUARDS AND I HAVE 400
GANGSTERS AT MY HOME BECAUSE
SOMEHOW THAT SPIRIT REACHES OUT
TO PEOPLE AND THEY CAN FEEL THAT
YOU CARE ABOUT THEM AND MOST
PEOPLE, IF YOU CARE ABOUT THEM,
THEY WILL RESPOND PROPERLY.